It isn’t a resort in the package holiday sense, there are only a few hotels and the area is much loved by the Spanish who flock here during the summer months for their holidays.
For lovers of ecological and environmental tourism, a visit to the lakes of La Mata and Torrevieja to enjoy a mudbath is recommended. The curative properties for a large number of rheumatic dermatological, heart and respiratory complaints are well known.
Torrevieja is also surrounded by two large natural saltwater lagoons, which form the well-known “Salterns of Torrevieja”.
An ideal location for a summer or winter sun holiday with an average of 320 days sunshine each year. The area is regarded by the World Health Organisation as having the healthiest climate in Europe.
The surrounding countryside has an abundance of orange and lemon groves. Distant mountain ranges with vines growing in the valleys, and ventas (roadside inn/restaurant) serving traditional fare at great value. All in all, an ideal holiday destination for the whole family, at any time of the year.
Bars and Nightlife
Torrevieja has a variety of entertainment for the young and the young at heart. There are more than a hundred night bars. Most of these are concentrated in the El Baluarte area in La Punta. This area has become a major attraction for thousands of people from all over the world.
A truly cosmopolitan variety of bars appealing to different tastes can be found. Try the Casablanca, Bésame Mucho, Pata Palo, Tía Roqueta, Tirachinas, Iris Pub, La Cantina or Correcaminos, you are sure to find the place that suits your taste.
The internationally renowned macro-discotheque Pachá, as well as the historic Look and KKO clubs are the obvious climax to the famous nocturnal pub-crawl (La Ruta Del Bakalao).
Torrevieja has a wide variety of restaurants catering to all tastes. You can try traditional Spanish, German, English and Italian fare.
From fast food, right up to fine dining, there is a choice to suit your budget. Try the famous “Barlovento”. A traditional fish restaurant with seafood you can choose from the aquarium inside the restaurant.
The town square is very picturesque. At Christmas it hosts a magnificent Nativity scene, which covers a large proportion of the square.
Open Air Markets
Every Friday Torrevieja holds one of the largest open-air markets in Spain and sells all kinds of food, textiles, clothes and accessories. A smaller market can be found at La Florida on a Saturday. Street markets can be found every day of the week in different areas.
The town has a good shopping area with lots of independently owned shops selling a variety of goods. An indoor market is open daily where you can buy fresh produce; fish, meat, fruit and vegetables.
You can enjoy the local coastline from the sea by going on a trip on the Tabardo cruisers equipped with catamarans in which you can observe the sea bed.
Excursions to the island of Tabarca and trips all along the coast of southern Alicante are available.
If theme parks and very large water parks are your thing then you can join an excursion to Benidorm which is a 60 minute drive approximately.
Prices from £250.00
* 2 bedroomed, 1 bathroom ground floor apartment, ideally located in the popular residential area of Altos de la Bahia between La Mata and Torrevieja, it is fully furnished and equipped for 4 people (plus a small child and baby) * Easily accessible from Alicante airport which is serviced all year round by low cost airlines. * Ideal golfing location in the mid/low season with average temperatures at 20C and over 30 courses nearby * Perfect sun worshippers location in high season with temperatures averaging 30C and only 1.5km from the nearest Blue Flag beach * Prices start at £50per night with a minimum booking period of 5 nights
- Communal pool
- Peaceful residential area
- ideal location, close to all local amenities and 1.5KM from La Mata Beach
- Sleeps 4 (plus small child)
- over 30 golf courses nearby